Article I – Name The Travis County Women Lawyers Association shall be a non-profit corporation.
Article II – Objectives The objectives of this professional association are: (1) to foster communication among women lawyers; (2) to strengthen the image and position of women lawyers in the community; (3) to work towards the elimination of gender bias; (4) to inform the public about legal issues affecting women; and (5) to work towards the enhancement of the public perception of the legal profession.
Article III – Membership and Dues
3.1 Membership. Voting membership shall be open to all dues-paying lawyers who are members in good standing of the State Bar of Texas. Associate, non-voting, membership shall be open to law school students and to others as determined by the Membership Director.
3.2 Dues. The Board of Directors may determine from time to time the amount of annual dues payable to the Association by members.
Article IV – Officers and Directors 4.1 Direction and Management of the affairs of the Association and the control and disposition of its properties and funds shall be vested in the Board of Directors. The Directors of the Association shall be:
(5) Publicity Chairperson(s)
(6) Activities Chairperson(s)
(7) Membership Chairperson(s)
(8) CLE Chairperson(s)
(9) Website Chairperson(s)
(10) Mentoring Program Chairperson(s)
(11) Immediate Past President
The first four Directors listed above shall be considered the Officers of the Association.
4.2 Board of Directors’ Meetings. The Board of Directors of the Association shall hold a monthly meeting (“Monthly Board Meeting”), except in July, and additional board meeting (“Special Board Meeting”) as necessary from time to time. Special Board Meetings shall include but not be limited to, electronic and telephonic meetings. (Monthly Board Meeting and Special Board Meeting are referred to collectively as “Board Meetings”). Meetings will be open to the general membership of the Association.
4.3 Meetings will be open to the general membership of the Association. Notice of the monthly board meetings will be provided to the general membership by mail or electronically and members of the Association may request notice of Special Board Meeting through a request to the President.
4.4 Attendance. Attendance at the monthly Board Meeting is required. A total of three (3) absences without notice will be adequate reason for removal from the Board. Reasons for absences should be given to the President before the meeting when at all possible.
4.5 Quorum. At Board Meetings a quorum is defined as a simple majority of the Board of Directors.
4.6 Term of Office. The term of office of all directors elected at the regular annual meeting of the Association shall commence July 1 following their election and continue until the next regular annual meeting or until their successor takes office.
4.7 Vacancies. Vacancies in any office shall be filled by the board at a board meeting. An officer selected to fill a vacancy shall serve out the unexpired term of the office.
4.8 Advisory Directors. Any voting member of the association serving in Travis County as a federal judge or magistrate, as a judge of a state appellate court, or as a judge or master of a state district court, or as a judge of a county court at law shall be invited to serve as an Advisory Director of the Association. The Advisory Directors shall not have voting rights as Directors unless elected to the Board of Directors as provided in these Bylaws.
Article V – Duties of Directors In addition to the requirement that Directors attend meetings, the principal duties of the Directors are as follows:
(1) President. The president shall preside at all meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors; appoint members to and create committees; have general charge and supervision of the administration of the affairs and business of the Association; and assign duties to other Directors as necessary.
(2) President-Elect. The president-elect shall carry out all duties of the president in the president’s absence; arrange the program for all membership meetings; and assist the president as requested.
(3) Secretary. The secretary shall take and distribute minutes of the meetings and maintain records of the Association. The secretary shall also see that mail is collected and distributed to the appropriate Director.
(4) Treasurer. The treasurer shall report on receipts and expenditures of the Association; maintain accounts; sign checks on behalf of the organization; and be responsible for all tax and financial records.
(5) Publicity Chairperson(s). The publicity chairperson(s) shall be responsible for the publication of the newsletter; publicizing events of the Association; and sending all notices as required by these bylaws.
(6) Continuing Legal Education Chairperson(s). The CLE chairperson(s) shall be responsible for planning and carrying out the annual Day in Federal Court seminar and overseeing the rentals and collection of fees for those rentals.
(7) Activities Chairperson(s). The activities chairperson(s) shall be responsible for the planning and carrying out of the social events of the Association.
(8) Membership Chairperson(s). The membership chairperson(s) shall be responsible for maintaining a current list of paid members; gathering the necessary information for the Associations annual directory; and planning membership events in conjunction with the activities chairperson(s).
(9) Website Chairperson(s). The website chairperson(s) shall be responsible for maintenance of the website, event registration, and publicity of events to members through e-mail contact and website postings.
(10) Mentoring Program Chairperson(s). The mentoring program chairperson(s) shall manage the Association’s mentoring program.
(11) Immediate Past President. The immediate past president shall be responsible for acting as a liaison to other bar associations including attendance at Travis County Bar Association meetings and for ensuring a smooth transition between years.
Article VI – Meetings and Quorum
6.1 Meetings. The regular meetings of the organization shall be monthly with the exception of July when there shall not be a meeting. Timely notice of meetings shall be mailed to the membership preferable in the monthly newsletter. Special meetings as necessary may be called by the President or by ten percent of the voting members of the Association.
6.2 Quorum. A quorum shall consist of ten percent of the voting membership. Any business may be proposed at a meeting at which a quorum exists.
Article VII – Elections and Nominations
7.1 Elections. The officers shall be elected by a majority of the voting members present. The annual election shall be held in June or, as necessary, the following September, of each year, by means of secret ballot or public vote.
7.2 Nominations. Directors shall be nominated at the May meeting or throughout the following month(s), either from the floor or by having their name submitted to an officer prior to the election. A list of names of the nominees shall be sent via electronic mail or regular mail to the membership within a reasonable time prior to the election.
Article VIII – Amendment of the Bylaws These bylaws may be amended by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the voting members present at a regular or special meeting, provided that notice of any proposed revision has been provided to the membership in a timely manner prior to the monthly membership meeting.
Article IX – Notice No official action shall be performed or taken in the name of the organization without Board approval. Timely notice of such proposed action shall be given to the membership.
Article X – Indemnification The Association shall indemnify and may reimburse or advance expenses and/or purchase and maintain insurance or any other arrangement on behalf of the Association against any liability asserted against a director and incurred in that capacity to the maximum extent allowable by law. The provisions of this article shall not be deemed exclusive of any other rights to which a director may be entitled under any bylaw, agreement, insurance policy, vote of members or otherwise.
These bylaws were adopted and approved by a vote of the membership on the _____ day of ________________ 2013.
Secretary: April Lucas
These bylaws were adopted and approved by a vote of the membership on the 2nd day of February, 1997.
Secretary: Bree Buchanan
These bylaws were amended and approved by a vote of the membership on the 28th of November, 2001.
Secretary: Jeana Lungwitz
These bylaws were amended and approved by a vote of the membership on the 15th of September, 2004.
Secretary: Zelia Naman
These bylaws were amended and approved by a vote of the membership on the 21st of September, 2005.
Secretary: Rande Herrell